Are you sleeping or sleeping well and long enough? If you’re not feeling refreshed upon waking, it's time to take action to improve your sleep. Here are 9 tips for getting a good night's sleep.
1. Get outside and MOVE every day: Fresh air and exercise can help calm and tire you out, while vitamin D from the sunshine helps regulate circadian rhythms to keep your sleep consistent.
2. Establish a bedtime routine: Consistency in your bedtime routine each night can go a long way in helping you achieve better quality sleep. Your body will naturally take cues and prompt drowsiness from the steps you regularly take to wind down, such as reading, taking a warm bath, or writing in a journal.
3. Style your bedroom for sleep: Keep temperatures cool, gadgets and electronics to a minimum, and bedding simple and comfortable.
4. Nix long daytime naps: While an occasional nap can be a great reset for the rest of the day, it may rob you of the more important and restorative sleep your body needs at night.
5. Consider what you watch on TV: Listening to discouraging news before bed could keep your mind racing throughout the night. Opt for shows that are lighter and more entertaining in the evening.
6. Set a wake